Saturday, May 29, 2010

A Family Garden

Today was a wonderful day!! I LOVED today. Our family spent most of the day in the yard planting flowers. We totally redid 2 flower beds and transplanted many other plants. We went to a local nursery that I just love. Thyme after Thyme, the nursery, is a place of peace for me. This was actually the second time I have been there this week. I took my husband and three younger children with me today. I really wanted Scott to help me pick the flowers for the gardens. He took pictures with his blackberry (okay so the blackberry is good for ONE thing :o) ) and we showed Heather, the very helpful lady at the nursery, them. I was able to tell her what I had in mind and she led me to plants that are perennial and full of wonderful color all summer long! (you have to love that!)









Flower bed before



On our way back home we picked up our oldest from a sleep over and we all got ready to work in the yard.
To be totally honest--the younger three could really care less about working in the yard but they totally LOVED playing in the little swimming pool.

Scott, LS and I spent a good bit of time pulling overgrown mint out of the beds and getting them ready to till up. It was a lot of work. Finally, we had the beds ready to plant. We made the bed that is outside the play yard, one that you see when you pull down the driveway, a rose garden. We put knock out roses that are a beautiful pink along the back fence. Between the roses we put 4 different types of perennials of different colors. I think we put a salmon color, white, golden yellow, and a purple. They are stunning. To finish the bed off we put four dwarf rudbeckias. I LOVE THIS BED!!




We made the bed in the play yard a kitchen herb garden. Scott picked out the herbs for this. He planted basil, several different varieties, cilantro, thyme, chives and a few others. I know that I will use it a lot. Esp. the basil!

We also planted a couple of planters for the front porch. I am really excited about how everything is coming together!
We worked really hard to do but it was well worth it. It was great family time, great exercise and it really helped the look of the yard!!

No comments:

Post a Comment